Come and Take It Parade Application
Please use the following form to apply for the Come and Take It parade. Parade deadline applications will be posted below as the celebration approaches.
Please note that submitting an application for the Come and Take It Parade does not constitute automatic acceptance. Using this form does not guarantee a spot in the parade. If you are accepted for the parade, you will be contacted directly on the behalf of your organization.
The Come and Take It Committee (Committee) would like to express our thanks for being a participant in this year’s parade. It is through the hard work and dedication of organizations and individuals that make the Come and Take It Parade such a sight to behold. In order to make sure that the Come and Take It Parade is as safe as possible; the Committee has implemented this firearm rule for the protection of the participants, spectators, and staff.
By applying for the parade, you hereby acknowledge that you have recognized the Assumption and Release of Liability for Firearms (Form). This Form must be filled out by each organization or individual that has a parade entry and signed by all participants who will be exhibiting firearms in the parade.
The Committee is proud of Gonzales’ heritage when it comes to firearms and protecting people’s rights to possess those firearms, so it felt best not to eliminate the exhibition of firearms in the parade, but only to regulate them so as to provide a safe environment for all.
This rule comes as a response to the extremely tragic and unwarranted events involving firearms around our nation and to strive for a better understanding of firearm safety. The Committee is asking all parade entrants that will be exhibiting functional firearms in the parade to help promote that gun safety. To do so, the Committee asks that all firearms be unloaded and that each participant sign the Form. A member of the Committee will check each parade entry for the display of firearms. For those entries that are exhibiting firearms, a member of the Come and Take It Committee will ensure that each participant has signed the provided form and that each firearm is unloaded. The Committee does not foresee any issues with this rule as it is for safety reasons, but in the event any individual, organization and/or member of an organization that refuses to sign the Form will force the Committee to deny that
individual or organization entry into the parade.
Once again the Committee is looking forward to a wonderful parade and thanks you once again for your participation and cooperation.
- Parade begins PROMPTLY at 10:30 a.m., RAIN OR SHINE (bring rain gear or plastic covering if needed). Judging will begin at 9:00 a.m. All entrants to be judged should be in place and set up by this time, and must remain until judging is completed.
- No undecorated private or commercial large trucks, tractors etc. will be included in the parade. (Ex. beer trucks, grocery trucks, heavy farm equipment) Does not apply to antique-type vehicles. Car & truck clubs, antique and others, limited to 8 entries per club.
- Autos and large vehicles must be driven by a licensed driver. Small vehicles (mini-bikes, go-carts, etc.) Must be operated by a person 12 years or older and parents are responsible for their conduct.
- ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CONSUMPTION BY DRIVERS OR ANY PARTICIPANTS BEFORE OR DURING THE PARADE IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN. IF A PARTICIPANT IS SEEN CONSUMING ALCOHOL PRIOR TO OR DURING THE PARADE, IT WILL RESULT IN THEIR IMMEDIATE REMOVAL FROM THE PARADE FORMATION AND WILL AFFECT FUTURE INVITATIONS.
- No items such as candy, gum, koozies, water bottles or pencils, etc. will be allowed to be thrown from parade entries. Your organization may have someone walking beside your entry handing out these items. If you are handing out items, please do not stall the parade. No children under 12 years or younger may walk the parade route. No Silly String or comparable material is to be used to spray other entrants, pedestrians, vehicles etc.
- Marching drill teams will be limited to official school groups, ROTC units and Military or veterans organizations. All school bands and youth groups are to be accompanied by an adult leader. High School bands that participate are encouraged to bring their Junior High bands either to march with them or as a separate unit. Please complete a separate registration form for each. Leader’s name and a phone number must be submitted with registration. NOTE – All marching groups are to report to the starting point at Saint Louis & College Street prior to the parade rather than to their numbered space along the lineup route.
- When disbanding, please don’t block flow of traffic for the entries behind you.
- Due to the length of the parade, it is very important that it keep moving! There should be no more than 1-2 car spaces between each entry. Please don’t intentionally stop or slow the movement of the parade for any demonstration etc., maintain the set spacing. If your entry has mechanical or other problems, pull off to the side and we will try to get you assistance.
- No individual horse & riders. Only members of organized groups that are registered. All entries must have a designated contact person responsible for groups’ conduct. There must be an address and current phone number provided. All riders in cavalcade groups (horses, trail riders, etc.) are encouraged to dress in common attire or costume as a group. Example: blue jeans, western shirt, cowboy hat, etc. It is preferred to have your horses diapered if possible.
- “School” entries limited to recognized organizations. (Ex. FFA, FHA, DECA, cheerleaders, student council, class officers and royalty etc.) Entry forms turned in to and approved by school principal. “CLASS” VEHICLES currently enrolled students. Reunion floats are permitted and encouraged.
- All vehicles participating in the parade must be clean and in safe operating condition. They must also be OPERATED in a safe manner not to endanger other participants or spectators.
- All floats, autos, trucks and ‘novelty’ entries should display their assigned parade position number in a readable manner on both sides of vehicle for judging purposes. A typed # (8 1/2″ x 11″) will need to be taped to both sides of the vehicle windshield in the upper corners so they are visible.
- The Parade Committee retains the right to refuse entry of any float, unit or individual not conforming to the standards of the Committee. Failure to comply with the parade rules may result in removal from the parade formation and will affect future invitations.
- The Gonzales Come & Take It Committee assumes NO responsibility for accidents or loss of any kind. We will make every effort possible to provide an enjoyable and safe parade for everyone but will need and expect your cooperation in order to achieve this goal.
If you prefer to download our Parade Application in its entirety, please download the PDF available.